Safe Routes to School info found here:
Comprehensive Plan Info:
Sturgeon Bay West Waterfront Concept Perspective
Sturgeon Bay West Waterfront Concept Plan
Sturgeon Bay Four Season Market - Project Feasibility Analysis
The role of the Community Development Department is to coordinate activities relating to planning, development, and growth management.
This Department provides guidance and assistance in order to achieve and maintain harmonious development of the City that meets the needs of existing and future residents, and which best promotes the City's welfare, character, convenience, prosperity, and efficiency. Staff support is provided to the Common Council and related boards and commissions, and to the general public, in the area of planning, zoning, subdividing land, redevelopment, natural resource protection, annexation, historic preservation, and other planning related issues.
City of Sturgeon Bay - Zoning Map (updated 2/22/2013)
The Community Development Department staff consists of:
Community Development Director - Marty Olejniczak, AICP
Community Development Secretary - Cheryl Nault
Building Code administration and inspections are provided by Independent Inspections, Ltd.
Inspection services are located in City Hall located at 421 Michigan Street and can be contacted by calling 920-746-2915. Office hours for Building Inspection are Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
The City Sturgeon Bay Community Development Department is responsible for coordinating the overall growth and physical development of the city. The Community Development Department prepares and coordinates long-range plans for the City's future growth.
The role of the Community Development Department is to coordinate activities relating to planning, economic development, and growth management. The Department provides guidance and assistance in order to achieve and maintain harmonious development of the City that meets the needs of existing and future residents, and which best promotes the City's welfare, character, convenience, prosperity, and efficiency. Staff support is provided in the following areas:
The department has the lead role in maintaining and implementing Sturgeon Bay's Comprehensive. In addition, staff is involved in creating and implementing other plans such as the Downtown Waterfront Subarea Development Plan and the Safe Routes to School Plan.
The department coordinates downtown waterfront redevelopment efforts and in general promotes development within the city, including the Sturgeon Bay Industrial Park. Many of these duties are contracted to the Door County Economic Development Corporation, which administers the Sturgeon Bay Revolving Loan Fund and Sturgeon Bay Development Zone program, among other duties.
The department administers several land use and development ordinances, including the zoning code, floodplain zoning code, subdivision code, historic preservation code, waterfront design review code and sign code. In addition, the department oversees the contract for building code enforcement (currently held by Independent Inspections LLC).
The Community Development Director, under the direction and supervision of the City Administrator, coordinates administrative activities related to community development including planning and zoning, subdivision, redevelopment, annexation, and providing staff support to related boards and commissions. Among the duties of the Community Development Director are:
- Administers City Zoning and Subdivision Codes with the exception of Zoning Code violations.
- Processes variance, PUD, subdivision, rezoning and conditional use permit requests. Prepares and reviews memos and recommendations as directed.
- Administers Floodplain, Wetland, and shoreland protection and ordinances.
- Administers portions of Subdivision and Platting Ordinance not related to engineering.
- Coordinates completion and implementation of downtown Waterfront Redevelopment initiatives.
- Serves as staff representative for City Plan Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals, Waterfront Redevelopment Authority, Waterfront Design Review Committee, and Industrial Park Development Team, Historic Preservation Commission and other Boards and Commissions as directed.
- Coordinates preparation of amendments to comprehensive plan. Administers and prepares action plans for plan implementation.
- Promotes and markets city development, redevelopment and annexation opportunities.
- Prepares recommendations for enhancement of community development activities including zoning amendments, redevelopment initiatives and related policy.
- Works with consultants to prepare or revise planning, zoning, or redevelopment documents.
- Oversees and coordinates the annexation process. Prepares related annexation or impact studies.
- Initiates discussions with developers and property owners to coordinate developments and annexations.
- Negotiates development agreements under the direction and authorization of the City Administrator.
- Initiates plan reviews and coordinates reviews with other agencies and city officials.
- Conducts site plan review for non-residential development.
- Represents the city before other governmental or quasi-governmental agencies including state, county, towns, Bay Lake Regional Plan Commission, and other agencies as directed.
- Participates in or coordinates implementation of development or redevelopment project plans. Coordinates the work of planning or engineering consultants as needed.
- Coordinates preparation of legal and public hearing notices pursuant to statute and local ordinances, and coordinates preparation and distribution of meeting packets and agendas.
- Coordinates zoning and property maintenance activities in conjunction with the Building Department.
- Maintains or coordinates preparation of GIS based land use information system.
- Maintains records of all planning and zoning actions and coordinates maintenance of zoning map and official map.
- Directs the activities of the Community Development Secretary.
- Prepares and administers annual budget for the Department and other sections of budget related to community development and redevelopment activities.